You’ve just bought yourself a Google Chromecast and can’t wait to get casting. But how does it work? Our guide will take you through step-by-step instructions on how to set up and start casting from your Google Chromecast.
This article contains:
- What is Google Chromecast?
- What you will need
- How to plug in your Google Chromecast
- How to set up your Google Chromecast
- How to start casting from your Google Chromecast
What is Google Chromecast?
Google Chromecast is a media streaming device from Google that plugs into your TV and connects with various apps you have on your phone or computer. After it has been plugged into your TV, the Google Chromecast allows users to cast straight from compatible apps, such as Netflix, YouTube, and Google Play. With the Chromecast and Google Home app installed, your smartphone essentially acts as a remote for your TV. With just a push of a button, you can stream from your iOS or Android device to your TV. It’s a great way to make any TV smart!
What you will need:
- A Chromecast device
- Latest version of the Google Home app
- Latest version of Google app (Android only)
- A Google account
- A display device with an HDMI input, for example, a high-definition television (HDTV)
- A mobile device or tablet
- The compatible mobile device or tablet must support a 5GHz connection to set up Chromecast on a 5GHz connection. Note: A WPA2-Enterprise network is not supported
- An internet connection
- Access to a secure wireless network. Make sure you have the wireless network password handy
How to plug in your Google Chromecast:
Here are 3 easy steps on how to plug in your Google Chromecast to your TV:
- Plug one end of the USB power cable into your Chromecast and the other end of the cable into the power supply. Use the USB power cable and power adapter that is included in the box for optimal performance.
- Plug your Chromecast into any open HDMI input on your TV.
- Plug the power supply into an open outlet.
How to set up your Google Chromecast:
Do you need help setting up your Google Chromecast? Follow our step-by-step instructions below:
- Plug in Chromecast.
- Install the Google Home app by downloading the Google Home app on your Chromecast-supported device.
- Make sure to connect your mobile device/tablet to the same Wi-Fi network that you intend to use to set up your Chromecast device.
- Open the Google Home app.
- Follow the steps prompted on your screen. If you don’t see the steps to set up your Chromecast: At the top left of the Google Home app home screen, tap Add + > Set up device > Set up new devices.
- Set up is successful! You’re all done!
How to start casting from your Google Chromecast:
Casting to your TV is a great way to enjoy your favourite apps optimised for the big screen. To start casting from Chromecast-enabled apps, follow the steps below:
- Make sure the mobile device, tablet or computer you are using to cast is on the same Wi-Fi network as your Chromecast or TV with Chromecast built-in.
- Open a Chromecast-enabled app.
- Tap the Cast button . Note: The Cast button isn’t located in the same place on all Chromecast-enabled apps.
- Tap the device you’d like to cast to.
- When you’re connected, the Cast button will turn colour, letting you know you’re connected.
- You can now cast videos, movies and TV shows directly to your TV.
- To stop casting, tap the Cast button Disconnect.
Can’t cast to your TV:
If you are having trouble casting to your TV, make sure you have the following steps in place before you begin casting:
- Connect your mobile device, tablet, or computer to a Wi-Fi network.
- The mobile device, tablet or computer you are using to cast must be on the same Wi-Fi network as your Chromecast or TV with Chromecast built-in.
- You must be running the latest version of the Chromecast-enabled app. You can always double-check that you are on the latest version by visiting the Google Play Store or Apple App Store and checking for any app updates.