The Clever Dog is an easy to use Smart Camera that allows you to remotely monitor your business, office or home, as well as allowing you to connect with your family and friends using the built-in microphone and loudspeaker from anywhere using the Clever Dog app.
In this article, you will find the necessary information to set up a Clever Dog camera and fix any possible issues. We aim to update it with more information, in case we receive new queries from our customers. We hope you’ll find this guide useful.
Clever Dog Features:
- Real-time video
- Full-duplex speech
- Motion detection
- Infrared night vision
- Wi-Fi connection
- Connect your Clever Dog camera to a power supply. The camera will be ready to set up once the power indicator turns blue and the Wi-Fi indicator starts flashing a blue light (if not, press and hold the yellow Wi-Fi button until the indicator starts to flash).
- Download the free “Clever Dog” app from the App Store (iOS devices) or Google Play (Android devices).
- Open the app and register with a valid email address. If you have already signed up, tap “Sign in” and enter your login details.
- If you are on Android, tap the “+” sign at the bottom right of your screen to search for devices and follow the simple prompts. If the camera connected successfully, the Wi-Fi settings will appear on your screen. Now you have to select the Wi-Fi network you are currently on and enter the password. If you are on iOS, go to Settings> Wi-Fi and select the “DOG-XXXXX” network which will be automatically detected, type 11111111 and tap enter. Now return to the app, tap the “+” sign at the bottom right of your screen, tap the camera icon and follow the simple prompts. If the camera connected successfully, the Wi-Fi settings will appear on your screen. Now you have to select the Wi-Fi network you are currently on and enter the password.
- Wait until “Added successfully” message will appear on the screen and tap “Done”. If the Clever Dog connected to your selected Wi-Fi network, the Wi-Fi indicator will stop flashing. The camera status on the Clever Dog app should now show “Wi-Fi Online”, and you should be able to view the live video feed on your mobile device.
View video on your PC:
- Download the free Clever Dog software here and install it on your Windows PC/Laptop.
- Open the software and log in with the details you used on your mobile device. Click the “HOME” button on the top left corner of your screen, and choose the camera name from which you want to see the live video. Here you can take screenshots, activate the microphone, or the speaker.
- If you want to view the recorded video, eject the microSD card from you Clever Dog camera, and connect it to your PC/laptop using a microSD adapter or card reader.
- If your computer prompts you to format the card, ignore the message. Instead, go to the Clever Dog software, click on “MENU”, and choose the “EXPORT VIDEO” from the available drop-down options.
- Select the videos you want to save and click “EXPORT”.
Clever Dog Camera Software Update
The Clever Dog camera may occasionally need a software update. You may see that the Wi-Fi settings have connected to the camera, but the app shows that it is not connected. Go back to the homepage and click the + icon to add a new device. You will then be prompted to update the software, click yes and then follow the on-screen instructions.
In the Clever Dog app, the status of your camera will either be ONLINE or OFFLINE/CONNECTING. If it is the latter, wait for a few minutes and allow the selected Wi-Fi network to connect automatically. Sometimes, due to system updates, it takes longer than usual to connect. Also, make sure the Wi-Fi password you entered is correct and check if your router needs a restart.
Red Wi-Fi indicator light
If the Wi-Fi indicator light is red and flashes continuously, press and hold the yellow Wi-Fi button on the camera for 3 seconds in two quick successions until the indicator starts flashing a blue light. Now go to the Clever Dog app, choose the visible “DOG-XXXX”, tap the tool icon on the top right corner and repeat steps 4 and 5 from the installation guide. If the camera still fails to connect to the selected Wi-Fi, try to set it up on a different network if possible or on a different mobile device.
Memory Card Support
Some customers may find that a memory card is not detected. What you can try to do is to delete the Clever Dog from your device, then re-add it with the memory card already inserted. Or you may find that the card is detected but the camera keeps going offline. Again delete the camera and re-add it. The camera should now be online and you will be able to also check the history of recorded data on the memory card. Note that the Clever Dog camera supports memory cards with a maximum capacity of 32GB.
The Clever Dog will work with all home network routers using 2.4GHz wireless frequency. If you are using a 5GHz router then you will need to set up another network using a 2.4GHz frequency.
When upgrading IOS some people may find that they are unable to connect to the Clever Dog camera. We have found a few solutions for this issue.
The first thing iPhone users will want to try is resetting network settings. To do this, open up the iPhone and head to Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings. You will need the passcode for the iPhone. Be aware that this may take a few minutes because the phone is going to reboot itself to complete the changes. Those of you performing this fix will also want to track down commonly used Wi-Fi passwords because this process will force you to enter them once it completes.
If that doesn’t fix things, iPhone users can also try turning off Wi-Fi Networking. To do that, head to Settings > Privacy > Location Services > System Services. Toggle them off and reboot the phone. Wi-Fi should now be functioning normally again.
A similar procedure should also solve connection problems with other devices, just google search ‘Reset Network Settings / Turning off Wi-Fi Networking’ for your device.
If you are experiencing connection issues, you might need to do a hard reset. Please reboot the camera and router, or use the APP to reconnect camera and internet. If the camera wifi light is flashing blue, but there is no connection to wifi, then please reset the camera and try again.
To reset the camera please follow the instructions below:
How to reset the camera:
Step 1. If the camera shows in the APP, please delete it first. Find a pinhole under USB slot, there is a reset button inside.
Step 2. Press the reset button the wifi light will be red or blue constantly, keep pressing, wait about 10 seconds.
Step 3. Wait the wifi light should be flashing blue.
Can I view the live video from anywhere in the world?
Yes, through the Clever Dog app, you can watch the live video feed. You only need a stable Wi-Fi connection for the Clever Dog camera and a stable Wi-Fi/3G connection on your mobile device. There is no need to configure your Wi-Fi router or create a static IP.
Can I view the live video from different devices and/or different accounts?
You can install the Clever Dog app and use the same account on all your mobile devices. The app also offers a sharing feature, which allows you to share the video with friends and family who have separate accounts (maximum 5 people). However, note that at any given time, only one user can view the live video feed. Also, you can only invite other users from the device on which Clever Dog was initially set up.
Why is the video black and white?
Because of an infrared filter, the camera also works in a low light environment. The filter turns on and off automatically, depending on the light conditions. This way it ensures a better quality, but the video is black and white.
You could also follow the installation instructions in these videos:
Installing the Clever Dogg Camera on your iPhone:
Installing the Clever Dogg Camera on your Android:
For any questions, queries or guidance on using your Clever Dog camera, please get in touch with our support team who will be happy to assist you: firstname.lastname@example.org
You can find the Clever Dog Smart Camera on our website in a variety of colours.