Fifa 12 'is top of the league' 3 October 2011 16:50:00
EA Sports's football title has gone straight in at the top of the video game charts, overtaking the Xbox 360-exclusive Gears of War 3.
The sales represent the third-biggest game launch ever behind Call of Duty titles Black Ops and Modern Warfare 2.
Gears of War 3 had sold three million units last week, but sales decreased by 76 per cent over the last seven days - meaning the shooter dropped to second place.
Fifa 12's first week numbers were 18 per cent up from last year's Fifa 11. The latest incarnation features EA's new player impact engine that models and replicates the way actual footballers psychically challenge for the ball.
Kaz Makita, executive producer for the Fifa franchise, said: "The transformation Fifa 12 has undergone is revolutionary not evolutionary."
Xbox 360 versions accounted for 54 per cent of the total number of Fifa sales this week, while PlayStation 3 sales contributed 44 per cent.
- Myst to return on 3DS - 23 December 2011 14:01:54
- Winter Sports 2012 available on Wii, 3DS and PC - 14 December 2011 13:31:09
- Skyrim 'is most popular game of 2011' - 9 December 2011 09:50:12
- Super Pokemon Rumble is now available - 2 December 2011 15:01:16
- Nintendo gives new firmware date - 30 November 2011 14:11:19