Next generation Wii to be unveiled at E3? 8 March 2011 15:20:37
A new Wii games console will be unveiled at this year's E3, it has been claimed.
Rumours have surfaced online that Nintendo is gearing up to launch the successor to the Wii at the games industry convention in Los Angeles this coming June.
The speculation was sparked by Zelda fan site Zeldainformer.com, which claimed a Nintendo source had said that they were sure the new Wii would be unveiled at E3.
They also detailed some of the tech to feature on the console, saying it would include a built-in Blu-ray drive, a superfast quad-core processor and a projector.
Speaking at an investor question and answer session last year, Nintendo president Satoru Iwata said of a second Wii: "We are of course studying and developing the next console to Wii. However, there is a big difference between studying a product and announcing what it is and when we will release it."
It comes the same week as a series of online job postings by Microsoft sparked speculation that it is working on a successor to the Xbox 360.
- EA hints at Wii 2 development - 17 March 2011 15:35:44
- Pokemon and 3DS responsible for lack of Wii titles, says Nintendo - 9 March 2011 15:28:59
- Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time coming to 3DS - 4 March 2011 15:32:02
- Gears of War 3 2011's most anticipated game - 16 February 2011 15:31:23
- Nintendo announces two new Wii games - 31 January 2011 15:27:00