Kinect 'fastest-selling electronics device in history'10 March 2011 17:08:36
Microsoft's Kinect gaming device for the Xbox 360 has been officially recognised as a record breaker.
Guinness World Records has confirmed the product is the fastest-selling electronic gaming device in history after it sold 133,333 units per day, for a total of 8 million units in its first 60 days on sale from its launch on November 4th.
Kinect outstripped both the Apple iPhone and the iPad for the equivalent periods after launch to take the record.
The new record will be included in the next Guinness World Records Gamer's Edition, which recognises record breaking achievement in the world of videogames.
Gaz Deaves, editor of Guinness World Records 2011 Gamer's Edition, said: "The sales figures here speak for themselves. We can confirm that no other consumer electronics device sold faster within a 60-day time span, an incredible achievement considering the strength of the sector."
Microsoft's Kinect device for the Xbox 360 allows users to control games using body movements and voice control.
- Awesomenauts delayed for Xbox 360 and PS3 - 7 November 2011 13:39:35
- Extreme action comes to Kinect and Move - 31 October 2011 11:58:42
- Kinect Sports: Season Two is on sale - 31 October 2011 10:53:26
- Silverlight support coming to the Xbox 360? - 8 April 2011 17:02:51
- Online hits to get full Xbox 360 release - 15 March 2011 15:01:32